Friday, June 4, 2010

This is real

As most of you know by now, we are expecting twins. Yesterday, we had our third ultrasound. We were a little worried because "vanishing twins" are common before the 10th week, but everything looked "perfect" according to the doctor. This was such good news.

On the other hand, we started to have a discussion about all of the things that we need to plan for. First, the twins are sharing one placenta. This means they're identical. It also means there is a 1/6 chance that they will have a complication called "Twin-to-twin Transfusion". This is a condition that occurs when one twin takes all of the blood and nutrition from the other. Because this is a possibility, I am now strictly a patient of the perinatologist (high risk OB/GYN), Dr. Wall. I will have ultrasounds every month until 16 weeks, every 2 weeks until 28 week, and every week after that.

He also told me to prepare for the very real possibility that I will be on bedrest, either at home or in the hospital, from 26-28 weeks on (which is October). Best case scenario is that I deliver at 37 weeks(Christmas Eve)and I'm not on bedrest. Either way, it is a mandatory c-section because all of the blood can be squeezed from baby a to baby b during a traditional delivery.

So, besides being violently ill during all waking hours, I am trying my best to enjoy the free time that I still have left.

I will put our ultrasound picture up soon.

1 comment:

  1. Man, this is a big jump from the fitness blog since I definitely won't be able to identify with what you're going through :) However, plans for sympathy bed rest and knitting lessons are underway!

    ReplyDelete