Monday, March 7, 2011

Hitting our stride

It's been a while since I've had the chance to put my meandering thoughts to paper...err... keyboard. Things have progressed well, and as far as we can tell, they are still lovely little girls. Abby is still enjoying her work-free liberation, but somehow has found a way to fill the days.

The girls have broadened their available range of emotions. At the outset, they were pretty much limited to "asleep" and "Raging Fury." They've added quite a few, that I will attempt to relay via ASCII symbols:

Confusion >:|
Mild amusement :)
I just vomited, and feel better :D
Daddy smells like Rum :[]
The Dogs licked my forehead %)
It's too dark in here 8|
I'm imitating daddy's serious face >:(
Listen to me :P

My personal favorite is the too dark in here face. When it's time for bed, we turn out the lights, and both of them react the same way: they open their eyes as wide as they can. From a physics standpoint I guess it sort of makes sense too. Catching more light would make things more visible. I doubt the girls understand the particle/beam theory behind it, but getting that eye ISO up is important.

The other major development is that we(I) can fairly consistently complete a REM cycle each night. Not two, but I'll take what I can get. The first break in feedings at night is usually between four and five hours. That may sound terrible, but it means that the first gauntlet is drawing to a close. From what I've heard and read, the start of parenthood is a battle of attrition, and the parents win only because they're too stupid to give up. Now, we transition to the next part; where they have personalities and skills at patri-manipulation. Then I get to kick them out at 18.

We've been busy recently, but everyone around us has been great, and tremendously helpful. All joking aside, if anyone still reads this thing, thanks. We're both finally rested enough to start realizing how awesome all our family and friends are.

2 comments:

  1. Baby update via ASCII = +100,000 points to Des!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun to hear how you guys are doing!

    ReplyDelete